Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wash Day: Photoshop Filters



I’ve been looking for a good reason to buy this fun package of Photoshop image filter effects appropriately named Permanent Press, by Mr. Retro. {LINK} I have a fun vintage-style project in the works and figured it was due time I had some fun of my own in Photoshop. I’m much more Illustrator savvy, but it is easy enough to create an image in Illustrator and simply copy it over onto a Photoshop page as a smart object.

The filters allow you to give your artwork cool effects, from comic book and halftone to letterpress and concert poster and many, many more. Each effect can then be tweeked in dozens of ways. This filter was $99 in download format.

Below is my logo in it’s original state first then as altered with a few of the fun filters all created within a matter of one or two minutes each. And if you think these are cool, wait until you see what it does with photos! Check out the site link above for some great examples.






13 comments:

Karli said...

Very, Very cool!

Leila Marvel said...

Wow that is pretty cool, what a great tool. Need to get me that for here at work, we'd love something like that to keep around on the computer.

Unknown said...

pretty awesome! My fav is the one that is uber pixelated

Anonymous said...

That would be fun to play with.

Unknown said...

Oooh, how fun!!

Becky Brocato said...

How fun is that!? Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Suzy said...

Wow, what a cool "Dick Tracy" look. I'll have to get that download. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I am such a sucker for vintage print media/advertising/logos. It just makes me happy! I absolutely love the CMYK filter that makes everythng look like it came out of a 10c comic book from the forties. GREAT!

Kathleen said...

totally awesome! thanks for sharing =)

LeelaBijou said...

Wow, this is sooo cool! Thank you so much for sharing it!

emily said...

As a displaced farm girl with a thing for old trucks I just love your logo!

Home Deconomics said...

I love Mr Retro! I have many of their vectore collections as well as their Font Diner fonts. Just got Photoshop and can't wait to try out the filters!

Michelle said...

OH WOW, you just solve one of my unanswered question. I saw this illustrator's work http://cargocollective.com/cookie#8820/Christmas-Cheat-Sheets
last October and I asked everyone how he did it (I'm a designer myself and I couldn't figure it out... I knew he didn't screen print it). Thank you so much. And keep those crafty tutorials coming, I love them.